impedance (was negative crown_

Doug Richards Doug.Richards@quantum.com
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 07:38:52 -0800

Frank,
Exactly my point!  Here I thought I was going to show how much I didn't
know.  In mechanical optimization of disk drives, we like to talk about
things we can measure and then change.  If you can't measure it, all the
beautiful words describing the concept are just that.  Why not switch gears
and talk of things you can measure and then optimize?  I'm a finite element
modeler so I do lots of computer simulations to show trends, but I always
have to talk in terms that  the lab guy can go out and test the structure
and corroborate my predictions.  He measures mechanical properties like
displacement, velocity and acceleration and can display them in terms of
real/imaginary or magnitude/phase as a transfer function.  These are the
tools we use to measure and describe vibrating mode shapes, resonant
frequencies, internal damping, transient shock response and so on.

So back to pianos...

What DID Del do to kill the Killer octave (without bringing up impedance)?

doug