disability insurance

dd.mckinney dd.mckinney@mci2000.com
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 14:06:22 -0500

<< Please pardon the intrusion however, I thought I possibly could be =
some
help in your question to the piano tech forum. =20
I am a insurance agent who reads the piano tech info for interest.  I =
have a
Kawii KG3

First, you can not apply for social security until you have been =
disabled for
at least 6 months.  Social Security will not provide benefits unless you =
are
unable to do any type of work including standing in a convenience store
punching a cash register.  The qualifications to receive SS is very =
stiff and
difficult to receive.
Disability insurance can cover you exclusively for "Your Occupation".  =
In
other words, if you were capable of doing something else but perhaps =
something
that didn't pay as much, the disability coverage would still provide you =
with
benefits.  Plus, good disability coverage will  pay 100% benefits if you
should lose your eyesight , hearing, or limbs, even though you may be =
able to
do something else.  In addition, good disability provides partial =
benefits if
you are only able to work on a limited basis.  For instance, if you were =
able
to only work 2 hours a day your benefits would continue to be paid to =
you
based on the percentage of time that you were unable to work.  Last of =
all,
good coverage will have policies that are what we call non-cancellable =
and
guaranteed renewable.  That means if your premiums never increase and =
you can
not be cancelled for any reason.  Obviously, no company would cancel =
coverage
while you were receiving benefits but what if you had received benefits =
for 2
years and then returned to work...they may cancel your coverage after =
benefits
were received and after that first disability you may no longer be able =
to get
coverage with any other company.  Disability is a type of coverage that =
you
pay for what you get. =20
I hope this is helpful.

Best regards,