Daily net . . . . was 'Another Question'

Carl Root rootfamily@erols.com
Sun, 13 Dec 1998 09:33:35 -0400

Antares wrote:

> Avery,
> I would opt for an hourly rate. I am  in the same position here in
> Amsterdam, but other dealers in Holland every now and then ask me to come to
> their stores/workplaces to fix a problem, regulate/voice etc.
> If you work for this particular dealer on a regular basis, I would recommend
> a "modest" but reasonable price, or, "another kind of deal" where both
> parties can be happy with.

You'll need to agree on an hourly rate, but a primary consideration
should be your daily net.  Your traveling and scheduling time is reduced
or eliminated.  You can offer a discount if you anticipate a sufficient
volume of work, say at least a dozen full days a year assuming you are
not yet able to be fully booked for every working day of the year.

Referals could be a factor, but don't count on them, since you're
working on the inside and they may want a less expensive tuner to do the
FS in-home tunings.   I would stipulate that you will only come in for a
full day's work unless your daily
schedule is so broken up that you can only offer smaller blocks of
time.

I would price shop work, and schools and other institutional work the
same way.  Keep in mind that a full day's work may be six hours for one
kind of work and eight hours for another depending mostly on
transportation.

I'm a firm believer in hourly, daily, monthly, yearly, and even
five-year profit analysis on occassion.  It often leads to cutting back
on some kinds of work and seeking out more of another.

Carl Root, RPT