Hammer line raising(was: Where oh where is the pitch)

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Sun, 13 Dec 1998 08:52:55 -0500

At 10:54 PM 12/12/98 EST, you wrote:
>>><snip>I tuned the treble section and raised the hammer line
>>>enough to achieve letoff. <snip>
>>>Patrick Draine, RPT
>Jon writes:
>>Don't you mean 'to achieve aftertouch'.
>>The amount of hammer blow has nothing to do with the
>>point of escapement. It'll cure lost motion. I hope you checked
>>the repetition springs, especially if the shanks were on the rail.
>
>Hang on there!  if the capstans are low enough so that the jack tender
doesn't
>reach the let-off button before the key bottoms out, there will be no let-off
>until they are raised.
>Regards,
>Ed Foote

Ok, I see your point.

Ever hear the expression: "You say potato, I say potatoe"  ?

In a case such as this I would look at it from the point of having lost
motion or
insufficient aftertouch rather than no let-off.

So I would have expressed it as raising the hammer line to remove lost motion
(which would bring the hammer blow into a range where the jack escapes -L/O)
or raising the hammer line to maintain a desireable aftertouch.

You could also say that you raised the hammer line to achieve the key dip,
if the
keys were front heavy.  Increasing the key dip would achieve L/O in this
instance.

The functions of the key system and how one preceives their interaction
fall prey to semantics.

You say piano, I say pie-anna   :-)

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)