Letting off tension-Plywood-S&S

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 01:00:22 -0700 (MST)

Hi Stuart or Janina:

A half turn will greatly relieve tension, however it is a good idea to keep
some hand tension on the Bass strings while detuning to avoid breaking the
strings at the coil when the string is bent backwards (keeping tension on
the middle of the string prevents that backward bend).

A good full turn is probably needed if you are planning to remove the
strings. If you are removing strings in order to replace them, then just
shear them off at the becket with a coil setting tool.

Jim coleman, Sr.