installing new knuckles

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Wed, 09 Dec 1998 08:10:42 -0500

At 10:08 AM 12/9/98 +0000, you wrote:
>In article <199812090900.DAA17948@sdnet-pub.affiliate.nortel.net>,
>Richard Moody <remoody@easnet.net> writes
>>

>>----------
>>Hi Barrie
>>       I have a couple of questions.
>>
>>What does "The nap should run with the jack"    mean ?
>
>The jack runs to you on a grand, (well there is the odd one that don't)
>so the nap should.  This is for a smoother set off and drop.
>

>>Also,,,   How do you determine which direction the nap runs?
>By touch, However, all the Rollers I have fitted in the last 15 years or
>so may be longer have the direction marked. (a pencil mark on Able and a
>red mark on Japanese Rollers)

If no mark exists, brush a knuckle on your lip. You will feel a smooth surface
one way and a rough surface the other. The smooth surface is oriented in
the direction of the jack escaping for a smooth touch.

>>#3   What does "The carding gap is for repetition"    mean?
>Carding is an old regulating term for the gap between the top of the
>jack and the top of the repetition lever.  A 1mm piece of card was used.
>On to-days grands have seen the gap as much as 2mm. Do not know if this
>is the intention or just sloppy work but it makes a funny touch. This
>gap allows  the jack to get back under the Roller.  (Rollers = Knuckles)
>

>Barrie,
I should say so, the 'gap' should be a thin piece of paper thickness. Close
enough
so when you trip the jack out with your finger, the hammer moves slightly,
winks;
hence the term - setting the wink. ;-)

>--
>
>Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly
>The UK Piano Page                              |
>pgp  key on request                            |  HAVE YOUR PIANO TUNED

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)