voicing with VODKA

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Wed, 09 Dec 1998 08:09:00 -0500

Hi Frank,
     My advice, Go back, do your best, It's worth it!  You aren't alone,
it happens to everyone, and some people will fuss about rediculous
things.  Sometimes the "buzz" won't even be the one you heard.
       As a "full service" tech, I avoid many problems by asking on the
phone if there's anything needing attention other than tuning and the
brand/type/age of the instrument.  While driving, I create a mental
checklist of possible sources of described problems.  When I meet the
customer they show me the problems and I play a four octave test which
demonstrates how rough the tuning is and/or alerts us to more things. At
this time, I can be clear on what a tuning fee can include.  I work on
problems between the pitch raise and final tuning as now I've likely
discovered all of them.  This strategy avoids much trouble (but not all)
and saves time and grief.  Also be careful never to let customers
"bluff" you into conceding that normal piano noise is abnormal, (some
will try).
Best of luck, be strong! Try to enjoy the challenge! You haven't failed
as all pianos have problems which can't be solved within a tuning fee.
(All easier said than done, so please forgive).
-Mike