'Matt Finish' on New York Steinway

Woodrow, John (Parramatta) John.Woodrow@pil.com.au
Wed, 9 Dec 1998 17:02:46 +1000

List,
An easy question for you US folk.

We don't get a lot of Steinways here in Australia but those that we do
are Hamburg.  Came across a supposed 10 year old New York B today
(looked at least 30 years old).  When I asked how the finish got
ruined (looked like somebody had taken a sheet of 80 grit sandpaper to
the whole piano), the owner told me that for 'environmental reasons'
this is how a matt finish is done on a New York piano.  It looked
terrible.

Is this for real, or is somebody having this little Aussie on?

Regards,
John Woodrow
Sydney Australia

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...