'Matt Finish' on New York Steinway

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Wed, 09 Dec 1998 00:18:27 -0700 (MST)

Hi John:

It has been traditional to finish Steinways in a "satin" finish for many
years. The Americans are just beginning to do the high polish polyester
type finishes in recent years. I assume you were exagerating about the
80 grit sandpaper. We have never seen that kind of finish on anything here.
It is quite common for refinishers to use 0000 steel wool and water to
achieve the satin finish on a high gloss lacquer finish after rubbing down
with fine wet-or-dry paper.

Jim Coleman, Sr.