Zimmerman Grands

Frank Cahill fcahill@erols.com
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 11:40:22 -0400

Avery Todd wrote:

> List,
>
>    I've just been asked about a Zimmerman grand that a country club type
> of place is considering. I've tuned one or two but, again, have had no
> extensive experience with this brand. I remember the one I tuned needed
> regulating, to say the least. And it wasn't all that old.
>    The lady who called said she would find out the model/size of the piano.
> Otherwise, it's app. 7 yrs. old, ebony and the seller is asking $2500.00.
> That low a price for a 7 yr. old grand is enough to make me wary.
>    Is this one of the Samick made pianos?
>    Any comments about quality, longevity, etc. would be appreciated and I
> will pass the info along to the customer.
>    Thanks again for the mountains of information this list provides.
>
> Avery
>
> ___________________________
> Avery Todd, RPT
> Moores School of Music
> University of Houston
> Houston, TX 77204-4893
> 713-743-3226
> atodd@uh.edu
> http://www.music.uh.edu/
>
>  o  For sale: an antique desk suitable for lady with thick legs and
>     large drawers . (Classified Ad)

I tune one of these every six months.  I think it's junk.  I'd rather
have a Young Chaing or Sammick.  I've never been able to tune a decent
temperment on it and there are false beats everywhere, even after
tapping the strings at the bridge. And yes, it needs regulation, but try
to sell one on a relatively new piano.

They are inexpensive to start, so people buy them.  See what Larry Fine
says about these pianos in his book.

You get what you pay for.  Here, in the Washington, DC area, lots of
folks buy grands because they look nice. So they get a low end grand,
like Young Chang, and they can't understand why it's not as nice as a
Yamaha that retails for 18-20k.