Scaling

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sat, 4 Apr 1998 08:42:31 -0600 (CST)

>Del, Ralph --
>
>That hard, huh?
>
>Really, if what you want is vibrato, all you need to do is to alter one
>string of each unison.
>
>If you're willing to take a little time, instead of just pulling one lever,
>you could alter each note, one at a time, by pivoting some kind of wedge
>used in place of the front bridge pin on one string per note. Alternately,
>there could be a separate rod just behind the capo, with notches to allow
>two strings per unison to pass, which would shorten the third string. That
>might be done gang-fashion, if one weren't too picky about the speed of the
>vibrato.

Sort of a wa-Wapin huh?

>Alternately, perhaps there could be a way to make one string have a wobbly
>termination, like a loose bridge pin, on demand.

There is, but you need at least one other person to run the torch.

>I remember seeing a tuning idea on some instruments such as hammer
>dulcimers or stringed instruments from India. In the back length of a
>string there is a bead large enough to deflect the string (which runs
>through it.) One can fine-tune the string by sliding the bead. I bet that
>would work on pianos, in the tail  length. That way one could tune the
>vibrato to whatever speed one wished.

The first time I saw one of these tuning systems, I was really impressed.
What a great example of getting a high-tech result from a low-tech approach.
Mr Cage, however, would want a few in the speaking segments too.

>If anybody is smart enough to market this idea, they are smart enough to be
>rich enough not to bother!

You've gotta be smart to be rich? Shazbatt! Here I sit, doomed to poverty.

>Well, we have almost a year to work it out ... is "keep on inventing" our
>version of "keep on truckin'"?
>
>Susan
>
>P.S. Imagine how mad Mother Nature might be about this one! What arguments
>about the speed of vibrato, and whether it should change for different
>registers! <g>

DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

 Ron Nossaman