polyester on Steinway

Greg Frank GFrank@yamaha.com
Wed, 24 Sep 1997 16:23:30 -0700

To:  Sy Zabrocki
Yes, it's true.  There is a Southern CA piano shop that regularly refinishs
new Steinways for a very large Southern CA dealer.  They strip the
lacquer off to the bare wood and custom finish to whatever the customer
wants.  I have seen polished white Bs, red & brown mahogany, and lots
of black ones.  They do a beautiful job.  To my knowledge Hamburg has
had polished ebony polyester finished pianos for years.  This shop also
does this to old, rebuilt grand pianos of various makes.  It is quite
impressive.  And yes--they do it to Yamahas too.  You'd be surprised at
what colors some people want their pianos.  I know of six polished red
C6 grand pianos that went to Florida from this shop, a glitter polished
turquoise for a rock star, and a polished purple one for another.  Oh well,
the customer is always right, or so they say.
Greg Frank