Dealer/Tech. relations revisited

Zen Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Wed, 24 Sep 1997 18:34:59 -0400

Hi Lance --

It's a shame that so many dealers are more interested in their bottom lines
than they are with customer satisfaction.  Observations aside for now ...

I too do a lot of dealer work, particularly the courtesy calls that come
with the purchase of the piano.  First of all, I try to find out from the
customer whether or not they have any questions about the piano -- how it
plays in addition to how it sounds.  Then, when I get there I will
ascertain the situation as quickly as possible.  If the problems are mild
and the correction quick, then I just might go ahead and do them in
addition to the tuning.  If the problems are more severe, as in an
obviously unprepped piano and the customer has questions, then I'll tell
the customer that I will try to seek authorization from the dealer to go
ahead with the prepping and set another appointment in which to do that.
The space between the appointments allows me the time to find out what the
conditions of the sale were (it has happened that the customer paid
rock-bottom no-frills and is entitled to nothing more than the piano taken
out of its crate, delivered to the home, and tuned) and to seek the
necessary authorization, depending on the sale.

ZR!  RPT
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net
----------
> From: Lance Lafargue <lafargue@iAmerica.net>
> To: Pianotech Listserve <pianotech@ptg.org>
> Subject: Dealer/Tech. relations revisited
> Date: Friday, September 19, 1997 11:39 AM
>
> Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, but...... I'm trained to do dealer
prep
> for a very nice brand of piano.  I go to the dealer and notice dealer
prep
> is not being done.  One piano sounds dramatically different from another
> due to string voicing, hammer voicing, tuning, and is not evenly
regulated.
>  My customer buys one.  I see what the piano needs, the owner does not.
Do