glueing controversy

Wed, 17 Sep 1997 21:54:02 -0700

DLLegg@aol.com wrote:

> Thank you Dave,
> Many thanks for pointing out the difficulty in removing glues, other than
> hide glue, from key bushings.  I offer a keybushing service, to the trade, as
> part of my piano business and there is nothing worse than having to remove
> inappropriately glued bushings.  While we're on the bushing topic may I issue
> another plea?  If you need to tighten bushings on a piano, say when the
> customer can't afford rebushing, please do not use the bushing tightener tool
>  -  turn the front rail pins slightly instead.  When bushings have been
> "tightened" they accordion fold in to the surrounding wood that has been
> crushed during the tightening process.  When, at some future date, these
> bushings need to be removed it is inevitable that they will pull some of the
> damaged wood out with them.  This creates the need for extensive repair to
> the mortise or replacement of key buttons.
>
> Debbie Legg

Debbie,

Please remember that by twisting the front rail pin the bearing surface
is decreased.
While the side play may be temporarily reduced, the rate of wear is
being increased dramatically. I think it's best to leave them alone
until the bushing job can be done properly.

Sure do agree with you about the so-called "key bushing tightener." It's
an atrocity that should have been pulled from the market years (no,
decades) ago. I've seen otherwise good keys that have been turned into
pulp by those things. Surely no one is still using those things. It’s a
tool that, when used as intended, is destructive to the part it is
supposed to be fixing.

—ddf