Again?

Danny Moore danmoore@ih2000.net
Thu, 18 Sep 1997 00:22:26 -0500

pianoman wrote:

> what do I see under the unpolished polyester finish but particleboard,
> ( I H PB ).  Now they have extended the use of my most hated wood
> product up to a higher level than 45".

James,

Chill out - it's not worth having an emotion about.  As DDF said, it's
not particle board, but MDF.  You'll find that Yamaha even makes their
clarinet, oboe, basoon, (all normally wood) instruments out of it.  The
reasoning.is they can use the proper type of wood for the instrument's
tonal qualities (i.e., rosewood, whatever) and when ground up and
suspended in resin it can achieve a consistancy throughout the
instrument.  A consistancy that is not possible (or economically
practical) when trying to find a tree that grew the correct grain
pattern & density (with no knots) for, say, a contrabasoon.

Most of the Oriental grands have lots of MDF in them.  The lid,
fallboard, stretcher - whatever is not load bearing or critical
structure.  Since a good portion of my business is moving the beast, I
do have this complaint.  MDF is considerably heavier that solid
hardwood.  Lately, I've started charging more to move an Oriental - just
added in the cost of a Chiropracter visit.

Danny Moore
Houston Chapter