tuning

Michel Lachance chance@InterLinx.qc.ca
Sat, 29 Nov 1997 10:41:40 +0000

Ralph,

Mine is pretty straight:

A4 - A3

Then I adjust F3 to A3 till I hear a "ghost" F4-A4-C5 chord.  I took
that trick in Travis book "Let's Tune Up".

I set up the usual "four pivot tones" F3 - A3 - C#4 - F4 (the expression
is from Jim Coleman if I recall).

>From each of those I simply tune in fourth and fifth, testing major
thirds so that beating speeds are progessive in the upward direction.

The three notes that are left, G3, B3 and Eb4, are "squeezed" between
the already tuned notes:  G3 with C4 and D5, B3 with F#3 and E4, Eb4
with Bb3 and Ab3.  Again, always testing the thirds.

This may not be the best temperament ever (although I sucessfully passed
the PTG test with it) but I personnally find it quite secure and pretty
fast.  It is certainly better that the one described in John Cree's
Fisher's book where you tune 24 notes by means of octaves and fifth
before you proceed to one and final test by playing the first and last
notes together.  And if you get a wolf, he says, you just do the whole
thing over again...

I don't mean to discredit Mr Fisher however. I heard he was an excellent
tuner.

Could anyone post the Sanderson-Baldassin temperament or at least give
the reference in the Journal?

Thanks.

Michel Lachance, RPT