plate spraying!

jptuner jptuner@asan.com
Sun, 30 Mar 1997 13:27:38 -0500

Barrie Heaton wrote:

> You've intreigued me,
>
> How do you persuade your clients to spray the frame in the home?  I use
> tins of celleluse spray and I try to do it outside,  if I can't then I
> wheel it out of my workshop down the bottom of the garden and into to
> garden shed.  Where I spray it in there.  The reason for this is the
> over spray,  it gets everywhere and tarnishes any metal surfaces such as
> your tools.  The smell is horrendous.  Breatheing aparatus is required.
> Just currious how you get away with it.
>
> I always remove my frames however I use clout nails (the sort builders
> use when refelting roofs) they have a very large head and I use them for
> the agraft holes.
>
> Barrie.
>
> In article <333D9187.58DD@asan.com>, jptuner <jptuner@asan.com> writes
> >hello all,
> >           I have been wondering when spraying plates with spray paint,
> >can the oils from the paint effect the pin block,of course when i
> >restring i always spray the plate to make it look good, the plate does
> >not come out ,these are restringing jobs in homes or my shop, i have
> >restrung close to a 100 or so pianos and have not had a problem yet.But
> >does it or could it effect the pin block.PS I have never used a clear
> >coat on the finish, but my results are very pleasing,i will try the
> >clear on my next job.
> >                            jptuner!
> >

> --
>
> Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly
> The UK PIano Page                              |
> pgp  key on request                            |  HAVE YOUR PIANO TUNED
hello barrie,
              When i spray a plate in the home i always spray light
coats and the smell is not that bad i have never had a complaint.I open
a window and do it,it takes me a half of can of paint to clean up the
plate to look new.The paint i use has very little overspray and covers
very well so you dont have to go crazy.The only time i remove a plate is
to shim the sound board or change the pin block,just to spray the plate
i feel you can get a great job done just with a good masking job and
preping of the plate and some good spraying technique with out the
hassle of removing the plate and then reinstalling it.

                             jptuner
                              NYC