Piano plate refinishing

Charles E Faulk cfaulk2@juno.com
Sun, 30 Mar 1997 13:02:53 -0500 (EST)

Ted

The powdery residue on the plate is probably overspray caused by holding
the can too far from the plate while spraying or by spraying outdoors on
a windy day. Try rubbing the plate lightly with a tack rag. If that
doesn't work, you'll have to rub the plate with Scotch-Brite (extra fine)
and recoat the plate.

One other thing. The spray heads on aerosol cans tend to clog quite
rapidly. Every time I throw away a spray can, I remove the head, soak it
in lacquer thinner, and save it. That way when I am spraying gold or
bronze finishes, I have a good collection of spray heads and keep
changing them as each one clogs. I get far less overspray that way.

The biggest problem I have with clear coating over the gold is the
difficulty of repairing the finish if the plate is accidentally scratched
or chipped.   A one step finish is fairly easy to repair ... just
respray.

Charles Faulk RPT
Manhattan, KS