Leather hinges

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Thu, 27 Mar 1997 20:45:37 -0600

Barrie, and list
	Velum,, what the heck is it, and is it the same as parchement?  The
squares (square grands) ( some) used parchement hinges, but not in
the
way as mentioned below.  Usually into a flange with a tiny slit.  I
always wondered how they made that tiny slit. And then never had
travel or wobble problems. Course the P hinges seemed to go when the
silk strings did.  Oh well "To da dump, to da dump, to da dump, dump,
dump." I think you call it the "skid"?
 And what ever happened to the screw adjusted flange bushings that
others had?   Ala Steinway pedal style, ish in a way.  One picture,
you get more than 1K words.  Now THAT seemed to be a good idea.

R.Moody

ps  pouch leather rips too easily, or has to much flex to keep the
hammer travel within reason.. In my wildest but humblest guessed at
opinion.  x( <:Ç      (a.1664)

----------
> From: Barrie Heaton <Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk>
> To: pianotech@byu.edu
> Subject: Re: Leather hinges
> Date: Thursday, March 27, 1997 1:50 PM
>
> Not actually having seen the piano I don't wish to doubt your
> observation however, most period pianos actions I have restored
have
> velum hinges which is a type of leather but hard and flexible can
be
> obtained from U.K. supply houses not expensive and lasts you ages.

> Regards,
>
> Barrie.
>

> In article <970326213741_1020250051@emout03.mail.aol.com>,
> Maxpiano@aol.com writes
> >List -
> >
> >I plan to check the archives tonight, but wonder if any antique
experts are
> >out there who could give a bit of guidance in addition to what is
there.

> >I do not specialize in antique instruments, but do help a customer
out with a
> >square piano now and then.  Now I have been asked to service an
older
> >instrument, the fore-runner of the square (same outward appearance
but much
> >trimmer in form; 6 legs instead of four).  Does anyone know the
name for
> >these?
> >
> >The make, if that is of concern, is Gibson - Davis, "New York from
London"

> >The owner is concerned to have all notes play.  The main problem I
am
> >concerned about is to replace the leather hinges that have
separated or are
> >getting weak on 6-8 hammers.  This instrument does not have dowel
shanks or
> >butts, but a flat shank hinged with leather to the hammer rail.
The leather
> >does not go into a slot in the shank, but is glued to a
mortised-out flat
> >area and backed up with a wood insert somewhat thicker than
veneer.

> >Question:  what leather to use?  Will player-piano pouch leather
work well?
> > Any suggestion on separating the parts that encase the old
leather, to avoid
> >damage to the wood?
> >
> >I am not attempting a museum quality restoration, but do want to
leave things
> >in such a state that if a proper restoration is ever done, it will
be in good
> >shape for it.
> >
> >Thanks for any ideas.
> >
> >Bill Maxim, RPT
> >

> --
>
> Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be
Environmentally Friendly
> The UK PIano Page                              |
> pgp  key on request                            |  HAVE YOUR PIANO
TUNED