Difficult situations

Gittinger, Delbert M. delgit@acc-net.com
Thu, 27 Mar 1997 21:39:42 -0500

----------
> From: Leslie W Bartlett <lesbart@juno.com>

........<snip>
> I am aware that we, as technicians, frequently find ourselves in homes
> with  only one individual besides ourselves, often of the opporsite sex.
> "Sexual abuse" is flying around like wildfire today, reaching into homes,
> schools, and churches. Some of the accusations are founded, and many are
> not, being fabrications.
>
> What precautions should we, the self-employed, often the singular
> presence representing us, take to make sure that we don't find ourselves
> the focus of such problems?

A concern I've had many times.  Ever notice that in the case of an
accusation the man's name is all over the paper but the victim/accuser's
name is never stated.  Just the accusation in the paper will end your
career as a Piano Technician.

>My wife, an elementary teacher, indicates
> that teachers throughout the age spectrum, have to go to extremes to
> protect themselves.  I suspect we, as a group, have not been involved
> with this issue, but probably should be more aware of it and very careful
> that we protect ourselves.

My wife is an elementary music teacher.  Same story.  Many kids never get a
hug at home and want one from their teacher(s).  The teachers are now
forced to be stand-offish thereby exacerbating the child's problems.

> Case in point:  I am scheduled to tune (first time) in the home of a band
> director in the school district for which I tune. The teacher indicated
> he wouldn't be there when I got there, but his daughter will be home,
> since she doesn't have sectionals that day.  I now think it prudent to
> call and reschedule when an adult will be there.

DON'T EVEN CONSIDER BEING IN A HOME ALONE WITH A YOUNG FEMALE!!!

It's also wise to get out of a home before dark if you are there alone with
a client of the opposite sex.  Neighbors talk.  BTW be sure your jacket has
Piano Tuner on it especially if your service vehicle does not.

Del Gittinger,  RPT
Registered Piano Technician
of the Piano Technicians Guild
delgit@acc-net.com