Difficult situations

EugeniaCar@aol.com EugeniaCar@aol.com
Thu, 27 Mar 1997 06:51:07 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 97-03-27 00:16:10 EST, lesbart@juno.com (Leslie W
Bartlett) writes:

 "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT after me"............
  On the other hand, too safe is better than too sorry. >>

Les,
Alas, what a sad situation we find ourselves in today. But better to face and
deal with the reality than to put yourself in a potential harmful situation.
I think you've already answered your own question.

When I set up a first time appointment, I try to set it for a time when the
customer is at home. That way I can tell her my evaluation of the piano and
what it needs. This also ensures that we establish some rapport and trust for
future service. I will admit, tho, that I have customers I have never
met--only their pianos! But I make it a practice not to go to a home the
first time with only a child there--babysitter, maid, neighbor, some adult
must be there.

In your assessment of this situation one question you might ask yourself:
from where or whom did the referral come? Was it another customer? Was it
from the yellow pages. If from another customer, some semblance of trust is
already established but it is our responsibility to safeguard ourselves. If
you have doubts, act on them!

Gina Carter