SPINET OUT OF CONTROL (2)

james allen bickerton "jbickerton@abraxis.com"@abraxis.com
Mon, 24 Mar 1997 17:10:00 -0500

Les Smith wrote:

> Hi, again, Jim.
>
> Just a short additional note on those Wurlitzer spinet junkers. If
> I remember correctly--it's been a LONG time since I've serviced
> one--the action is not secured with "action bolts" but with long.
> light-weight wood screws that are notorious, not just for bending,
> but for breaking off entirely when they were either being removed
> and replaced. It was such  common problem that I seem to remember
> Wurtitzer issuing a technical bulletin on the matter that dealt with
> how to remove the broken screw stubs and suggesting replacements for
> the original screws. IF Wurlitzer didn't issue such a bulletin, I
> certainly remember discussing the matter with other techs who were
> running into the problem all the time in the field. Since you men-
> tioned that one of the screws WAS bent, I just thought I'd point out
> to you that you were lucky that it didn't break on you, or your bad
> situation could have been even worse.
>
> Also, before working on any old spinet, closely inspect it for the
> presence of plastic action parts, which were used extensively in late
> 40's-50's. Plastic damper, hammer. wippen and jack flanges, plus plastic
> jacks and lifter elbows are frequently encountered. In some instances
> they are so brittle that they will break while you are simply striking
> the keys hard enough to tune the piano. Or, you discover a loose ham-
> mer flange and tighten the screw and in the process the plastic flange
> breaks. No problem. You decide to remove the broken flange with the
> action still in the piano and replace it with a wooden one. Easy, re-
> pair, huh? Well, as you try to remove the flange screw, you push the
> jack to the side with your screwdriver blade and your heart breaks as
> you hear the plastic wippen flange break, too. Now you're going to have
> to pull the entire plastic-loaded action to replace the broken wippen
> flange and in the process... you get the idea! Soon you're thinking
> "there's gotta be an easier way to make a living"!
>
> Watch out for those old spinets. They're disasters just waiting to
> happen. Better they happen to someone else, than you or, ME!
>
> Les Smith
> lessmith@buffnet.net
LES,
  Right again you are!!  The Wurlitzer Spinet didn't have "action bolts"
but instead had relatively light weight wood screws.  The middle screw
was so bent, it couldn't be screwed back in.
  You've obviously been in my position before.  Anyhow, thanks for your
advice.  After that job, I felt like a real dope.  But your words of
wisdom assisted me in overcoming my ruffled tail feathers, and gave me
insight as to how to avoid future "no-win" situations.  THANKS AGAIN.
                                            JIM
                                            bickerton@abraxis.com