Cynicism

Charles K. Ball ckball@mail.utexas.edu
Sat, 22 Mar 1997 21:26:23 -0600

Dear Les, Dave, Tom & List,

To me the relevant question regarding cynicism is not whether such an
attitude toward life is justified by previous experience, but whether it is
helpful in seeing things clearly and honestly.  To assume a cynical
attitude for me would be just as blinding and misleading as assuming an
uncritically hopeful and trusting attitude.  If the cynicism is also
accompanied by anger, the loss of clear-seeing is amplified.

The tone of some recent posts regarding dealers and manufacturers is
disturbing to me, first because of the anger and sarcasm I sense behind
them, and secondly because they have not been helpful in building better
relations between technicians and other professionals in the piano
business.  Although I am grateful that I do not have to make a living
through piano sales or through defending uncritically corporate decisions
and actions, I would personally love to see a building of bridges through a
heightened sense of mutual interest.

Dealers and manufacturers have negative stories about technicians to tell
as well, and I have heard many, but recounting and relishing our
resentments does little to promote our mutual interests or our peace of
mind.

Charles