Question

Marcel Carey mcpiano@multi-medias.ca
Sat, 22 Mar 1997 23:15:16 -0500

At 21:10 97-03-22 -0800, you wrote:
>Rogerio Cunha wrote:
>>
>> I am working in an old upright German piano that has normal wood flanges and
>> butts. The problem is that when you tight the butt place against the butt in
>> order to fix the butt in the center pin, the pin stays loose from the butt
>> because the wood of the butt on the place where the center pin make contact
>> with it is used up and so you can't tight the center pin against it.
>> I would like to know the best way to correct this if you can't change the
butts.
>> Rogerio Cunha - IC Piano Technician Guild member - Brasil
>
>Rogerio,
>
>I think you need to get the set of various sized center pins available
>from the supply houses up here, so that you can put a larger pin in the
>hinge and butt to tighten it up.  You also need the reamer set to fit
>the bushing felt to the new pin.  I don't understand what you mean by
>"Butt place".
>
>Hope this helps,
>
>Warren

Rogerio & Warren,

What Rogerio probably means, is that the groove where the center pin fits in
is too large to hold the pin properly. One way I had to go with before
replacing the butt is to file the flat part of the butt below and above the
groove so that the groove gets smaller. So you have to remove the plate,
file away some of the wood and then just reinsert the plate and the flange.
It has worked for me.

Marcel Carey, RPT