Bechstein-restauration

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 20:54:34 -0500 (EST)

Hi, Barrie.

My sincere sympathy regarding the loss of your records. That kind of
information represents a loss which can't be measured in dollars and
cents... pardon me, pounds and shillings! As regards stringing scales,
here in the states we have John Travis' widely-used "A Guide To Re-
stringing", but it focuses of American-made pianos, and would be of
little use to you when working on UK pianos. As for the other infor-
mation, techs who keep such records usually keep it to themselves and
as far as I know there isn't any single source book you could go to
to get it (YET!) Further, your main need would seem to be for info
relating primarily to UK and other European pianos, rather than Amer-
ican-made instruments. Although, I assume you're probably seeing Asian-
made pianos in the UK in recent years, too. (This is a personal opin-
ion. based upon he few I've seen and played, but I doubt that you'll
encounter any Asian pianos with the kind of tone-quality found in a
vintage Broadwood!)

I know that this advice is coming a little late, nut I assume that
you've resumed your record-keeping. I also assume that the records
you lost didn't go "walkies" by themselves! I would recommend keep-
ing all your records in your computer now PLUS keeping at least two
copies on floppy disk. If possible PASSWORD-PROTECT your informa-
tion. This way, even if your whole computer "goes walkies" (!) no
one else will be able to access the information. If, on the other-
hand, you decide that you would like to share some information--
like a stringing scale-- with another technician (Like my UK tech-
nician/friend Simon Husbands), you can simply print out the scale
for him on your computer printer and not have to let them have the
opportunity to walk off with your entire record-book and "forget"
to bring it back. (NOT Simon. of course!!!!).

I hope this helps.

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net