CAUT's Ethical quandry

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Sun, 16 Mar 1997 22:19:49 -0500

>   Am I being overly cautious? Could I have some of your generous feedback
>on this issue? Thanks.
>
>Avery

Dear Avery,
        I see no ethical problem doing work, on you own time, for other
people, dealers, halls or any such.
        I am an employee of the state of New Jersey and as such I would not
be able to accept commissions on pianos sold by any dealer to the
university.  That is pretty clear.  I have accepted gratutities from a
dealer whom I helped far beyond the call of duty in moving pianos, tuning,
opening dools (12 hour shifts on some occations) because I worked my buns
down (not off yet) for him and the Univerwsity.         I think, if you know
the customers needs, present and future, you may advise on the purchase by
guiding them away from pianos that would not serve their needs.  You will
need to have a good strong relationship with the dealer and explain the
customers needs to the dealer who will also guide them to the proper
purchase.  Being a team helps a lot.
        If at any time you feel uncomfortable with such a situation you own
it to yourself to bow out of the situation explaining to customer and dealer
the conflict of interest and suggest another technician to do the appraisal.

                Newton
                nhunt@jagat.com