Belarus

arnold1@mindspring.com arnold1@mindspring.com
Sun, 16 Mar 1997 21:55:16 -0500 (EST)

On 1997-03-16pianotech said to arnold1@mindspring.com
   >Dear list,
   >The Belarus is a piano made in the province of Belarus in Russia.
   >It comes in 43" and 44",and 46" sizes.  It has the sole distinction
   >of being , I believe, the cheapest ($1,950.00 to $2,110.00) new
   >piano you can buy in this country.  They have been imported for a
   >couple of years now.  The piano, once I got it up to pitch did not
   >tune badly and it didn"t sound too bad.
   >Hope this clears this up.  It certainly is not a stencil brand.
   >James Grebe from St. Louis
   >pianoman@inlink.com

Isn't this what the so-called Sangler and Son, or whatever it was called,
really was?  It was written somewhere in that piano that they had assembled
it
in Belgium, or the Netherlands, I think, because, at the time, there was an
embargo against importing products from the former Soviet Union.  As with a
lot of cheaper products,  the consumer would have been much better off to
spend their money for a few-year-old, quality used instrument, but, well,
these things were "new", and the consumer thought they were getting a
"really good deal."  Let us say that, in my opinion, the 46-inch version was
the "least worst."
Arnold Schmidt, Raleigh, NC, arnold1@mindspring.com

`[1;33;42mNet-Tamer V 1.05.1 - Test Drive