Damper lifter rod return

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Sun, 16 Mar 1997 21:40:45 -0500

>List,
>
>I am finishing up my Kimball Upright project and have found that
>the lifter rod is not returning fully.  Often there is a dummy
>damper lever to return the rod but not on this beast.  Any ideas
>as I look into installing a dummy damper lever, which seems the
>best way at this moment.
>
>ilvey
>Pacifica, CA
>ilvey, RPT
>Pacifica, CA

By all means put on in.  Find a damper lever with a strong spring or make a
strong spring or change the flange with one if a strong spring and mount is
between the bass and middle sections.

I have done this a couple of times with good results.

Damper rod s and hang because of too tight pivot bushings, binding in the
same because the hanger hooks are not in the same plain, weak pedal springs
or poorly timed dampers.  What ever the cause the extra lever will help.

        Newton
        nhunt@jagat.com