Yamaha hammers - back from the brink!

Thomas A. Sheehan aquinas@nyct.net
Sat, 15 Mar 1997 18:29:18 -0500

Dear colleagues -

I am happy to report that the voicing of the hammers has succeeded! The
piano sounds as nice as any of the best that I've ever heard!

I reviewed all of the replies to my original question and found them
carefully thought through and extremely helpful. Not to mention very
supportive and collegial - exactly what I believe PTG is all about!

I also had an opportunity to speak with Tom Kaplan, who is Yamaha's
service consultant here on the East Coast. Tom suggested that I had
overneedled the shoulders. That was congruent with what I was hearing:
all I had left was a hard wedge of felt at and below the striking point.

After further consideration, I used some Supertone on the shoulders. It
brought the hammers almost exactly to where I wanted them to be! Once
the shoulders were rehabilitated, the hammers again were working as a
unit.

This is a great lesson, and I would like to again thank all of you who
have responded. I hope that I can help in a similar fashion in the
future!

Best regards,

Tom Sheehan, RPT
NY Chapter