noise

Paul N. Bailey 103445.713@CompuServe.COM
Fri, 14 Mar 1997 18:08:08 -0500 (EST)

"Voicing" at the balance rail pin hole:

How often ever-so-slightly tight balance rail pin  holes will cause the
action to "work", but not "play"!

Perhaps more troublesome is the interference with tone production, than
the 'slowness' of the action , tho how can these symptoms be separated?

I'm recalling Diapason 6'1" grand, owners very pleased w/ my tuning
service, but slightly unhappy w/ how the Diapason played, and sounded,and
 becoming
aware that 'it really isn't a Steinway".  I was about to reach for my
voicing needle (which is chucked in a Dremel tool) and have at the
hammers, when I noticed the keys didn't slide back down the balance rail
pins as they should. so that's what I 'fixed'.

	RESULTS: More control, easier to play, ok; but the most obvious
improvement , that drew the most comment from the owners, was much sweeter
 tone, and the sensation  that the sweeter tone made the piano easier to play.

	It's still on the list to do some needle voicing, to try to get
a broader spectrum of tone qualities out of this nice-sounding but
somehwat monochromatic sounding piano. (unless regulation
or hammer - string mating shows up as more preliminary!) but in this
instance this balance rail pin hole adjustment has to be evaluated as a
voicing procedure;

	Which raises questions about "what to do" when small but time consuming
chores like key easing will make a big difference in the percieved outcome, but
were unanticipated (and usually preveiously unknown!) by the client?

				Paul Bailey,RPT (103445,713@compuserve.com)

> From: Owen J Greyling, RPT <greyco@adan.kingston.net>
> To: pianotech@byu.edu
> Subject: noise
> Date: Friday, March 14, 1997 10:35 AM
>
>..... an irritating noise ...., usually after an action has been unused
only
> for a day or two? ....Here's hoping.
> "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear"
>                      Owen J. Greyling, RPT

(drum roll)................Keysticks with slightly tight balance pin holes

Hope this is your answer.

Myler, Tom

"Perhaps the greatest wisdom is the knowledge
of one's own ignorance"

                                 John Steinbeck