Soft pedal spring

Wed, 12 Mar 1997 20:09:00 -0800

Marcel,

I'm not sure about screwing to your shoe.  Perhaps if you sat on it,
you could hop more quickly from one note to the next.

One method we used years ago with a certain brand of piano was
to cut the spring in half.  If you didn't mind the torque on the keyframe,
it worked quite well...

Horace

At 10:47 PM 3/12/97 -0500, you wrote:
>At 11:59 97-03-12 -0800, you wrote:
>
>>	I've had this request a few times, and what's worked for me is to
>>remove the spring, place it with contact points down on the floor, and
>>stand on it. As I say, this has worked for me. A caveat, though: if you
>>weaken the return spring too much, you may find yourself with an action
>>that returns sluggishly or not at all, meaning that you'll want to reset
>>the glides and clean and lubricate everything to minimize friction.
>>
>>Many excellent returns,
>>
>>	Steve
>
>Thank's for the tip Steve. This sounds better then what I had in mind. I
>thought I would have to heat the spring in order to make it weaker. One
>thing though, How long did you stay on the spring ? One minute or one hour?
>Should I screw it to my shoe while I tune :-).
>
>Marcel Carey, RPT

Horace Greeley

Stanford University
email: hgreeley@leland.stanford.edu