Temp. tunoff time???RE: De Gustibus (* tuning)?

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Wed, 12 Mar 1997 21:20:59 -0700 (MST)

Hi Paul:

OK, now I understand what you meant by the difference between temperament
and tuning.  You are really proposing that sometime a tuneoff should be
held to see if indeed there is a preference for an historical tuning over
against an equal temperament tuning when the octave stretch style is
maintained the same (just as I tried to do in Chicago) so that an audience
will be judging only the temperament differences.  My guess is that even
an audience of technicians would not be able to tell in a blind test which
was which in a music playing situation, but they would be able to tell
which sound they liked the best even if the musical selections covered the
gamut of key tonalities.

Well, I think it would be very interesting.  You know, I have already done
listening and comparison tests in 3 situations where the audience did not
know ahead of time that I had tune a piano completely in a Well
temperament.  The audience definitely expressed how much they liked the
sound of the piano as far as octaves and unisons were concerned, but did
not have a clue that there was anything "wrong" with the temperament.
In that situation more than one person said in essence: I have never
heard a Yamaha C3 sound that big and clear before." Yes, we did have
selections played in the more distant keys as well as the favored keys.
Poulenc was played as well as Debussy.  I was surprised at the reception
this particular mild Well temperament had received (is that redundant or
what?). BTW I had used that same Moore 18th Century Well temperament on
a CD recording of the complete piano works of Ravel.

Jim Coleman, Sr.