Voicing and Inharmonicity

Marcel Carey mcpiano@multi-medias.ca
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 09:29:01 -0500

Dear Bill & list:

The way I see it, the only thing that voicing does is change the contact
time between strings and hammer. To me, what this does is allow the hammer
to dampen some nodes of the harmonics in the strings. When a hard hammer
contact the string, it uses the string's energy to be pused back. When
properly voiced, the hammer will push itself away when the string is at it's
maximum extension. This is why a poorly voiced hammer won't produce as much
volume. It is using string's energy just to get away from the string. On the
other end, a too soft hammer will stay in contact even when the string is
coming back to it's original position thus damping and mufling the harmonic
content.

So in the end, it is a question of balance and taste. I try to get the
hammer to stay in touch with the string just long enough to get the maximum
volume. The attack can then be regulated just by surface voicing or "Doping".

Maybe my way of thinking makes sense. I'm still tryng to understand.

Marcel Carey, RPT