Voicing with tuning lever

Paul N. Bailey 103445.713@CompuServe.COM
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 09:33:23 -0500 (EST)

Dear Kuang,
	It is not possible to evaluate how you are tuning from your
statement that you use perfect fifths to tune pianos. How do you judge
your fifths to be perfect? Are ALL your fifths perfect?  Do you test
your fifths or simply make them sound just to your ear?
	I would love to evaluate your tuning- not to make a judgment
about you or your competence, but from genuine interest to know what
you are actually doing, and what musical instincts may be coming into
play....

	Is it equal temperament? You tell me; do all of your thirds
beat at the same ratio? That is, do your thirds progress evenly, as you
ascend chromatically?
	If you are in fact tuning ALL your fifths pure, then all the thirds
are also coming out the same size, and likewise all the other intervals...
This would qualify as equal temperament, in a way; but common practice at this
time is for tuners to make the fifths a bit narrow, a very small and specific
little bit! If your fifths are all the same size, and if that size really,
REALLY
IS pure, your octaves are going to be wider than what is commonly accepted as
in good taste.

	Piano tone is a bit fuzzy around the edges, so to speak, and your fifths
may sound pure by direct listening, yet not in fact be truly just; then your
octaves might be on the wide side, but still within the bounds of good taste, as

it were....

	Do you know how to 'test' your perfect fifths? If the fifth is just, and
you add a major third, the resulting major triad will have major third that
beats
twice while the minor third beats three times... If you make it a minor triad,
the
minor and major thirds will beat at exactly the same rate.

	If you tune a complete cycle of fifths that meet this test, your octaves
will be pretty wide, and I doubt very much that's really what you are
describing...
But how about you try to describe an actual bearing plan, including tests, for
how
you are tuning.... or are you depending a lot on melodic intervals, and not
being
a 'beat counter'?

	"What is well temperament" is a little easier to answer, I think! (to be
thorough , there are about three dozen specific rules, but you may get the idea
if
I say) If there are no major thirds smaller than just, and no fifths larger than
just,
and if the smallest third is on C-E, and the largest third is on Gb-Bb, and the
thirds change gradually in size, it's well temperament.

	Here is maybe more theory than you're asking for; Equal Temperament is
the
vain attempt to make three  major thirds add up to an octave. Meantone is the
acceptance that two major thirds plus one diminished fourth is VERY close to
adding
up to an octave. Well Temperament is an attempt to maintain the 'two major
thirds
plus a diminished fourth' character of meantone, while eliminating the 'harmonic

waste' of one or more wider- than-pure fifth(s), and reducing the diminished
fourths
to a size that we can tolerate.

				Hope this helps, and I sure want to understand
what
					you are actually doing, it must be
interesting!

				Paul Bailey RPT