voice from *Hear*

Bill Ballard yardbird@sover.net
Sun, 09 Mar 1997 00:17:15 -0500 (EST)

On 3/5/97, RPSPIANO@aol.com rote:
<<What note or section of the piano do you start voicing on?
What procedure do you use to voice note to note? >>

Mind if I head for the Zen? Before procedures, I must mention the two
most important voicing tools: our hearing and our experience.

Ludwig Tomescu of S&S C&A advised, pick out those notes which you think
are already where you want the piano to be, and which can serve as  guide
points. (In effect, voicing is a matter of "connecting the dots" between
these points.) He said (and this was the New England Regional '89) if you
cant' find at least twos notes. something's wrong. (He didn't elaborate,
but I'd have to assume that either you're still back in the
tone-regulating stage (Wally Brooks' dinstinction), your internal
model/image of piano sound is not yet well enough formed, or the piano is
empty of musically redeeming qualities.)

Experience. Nothing beats the memories of ugly sounds and which tool you
grabbed to get rid of it, and hwo you may have had to use that tool in an
unexpected and unusual way to turn that ugly sound into beauty.

Can you tell? It's Saturday night and I'm writing my sermon.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter