January Thaw

McNeilTom@aol.com McNeilTom@aol.com
Fri, 07 Mar 1997 07:24:42 -0500 (EST)

Bill Ballard, and List -

I think the kinds of changes you describe (piano's being heated, and possibly
dried a little for a day or two) will not be significantly stressful in the
 _long term_ .  If  humidification is provided along with the heat, the
structural stresses will be small and will take many days to reach new
equilibria - and before then, the piano will be returned to it's 'unassisted'
state.  In the   _short term_  however, you can expect the tuning to be
somewhat unstable.

I have had two relevant experiences, one exactly as the situation you
describe:  S&S 'D' , tuned and used lots during the summer, outdoor
environment (except with a roof over its head), hall heated for an
occassional performance during fall and spring.  The piano behaves
beautifully all summer with nary a pitch-raising.  When the heat comes on
(for one day only, no humidification) there can be a six- to eight- cent
pitch drop, depending on the weather.  Since this is a very sophisticated
venue presenting international concert pianists, we go through the
pitch-raising, plus a touch-up tuning just before performance.  If the piano
is used another time or two (with temporary heat) during the same off-season,
the piano doesn't usually require another pitch-change.  But it does need
pitch-lowering again for the start of the summer season with its high
humidity.

As for temperature change, it will affect the tuning, and sometimes
dramatically and quickly.  I'd like to see the piano have about an hour to
settle for each three-degrees Fahrenheit of temperature change.  (Nothing
scientific to prove that, just an experienced rule of thumb.)  With that in
mind you can specifiy the minimum lead time for the heat to be brought up to
battle conditions before you attempt a fancy tuning.

Situation #2:  Beautiful concert hall with an S&S 'D', wonderfully
climate-controlled storage room, but no humidification in the hall.
 Temperature changes were negligible, and  _sometimes_  humidity changes were
negligible, too - heavenly days!   But at other times, the piano could go
from 45% RH in storage to 15% ambient condition on stage.  The tuning would
be constantly descending throughout the day of performance, and through the
performance.  My typical regimen was to schedule the piano brought on stage
early in the morning (the day before - or week before, a la Ken Sloane's
experience! - was never a possibility due to the other uses of that hall),
tune before afternoon rehearsal with an attempt to anticipate the pitch level
at performance time, then touch-up just before the doors open, with no
further pitch-changes, even if needed.  (In other words, working for
stability instead of pitch accuracy for this touch-up).  This worked
beautifully for solo recitals, and pretty well for concertos.  I had to
explain the situation to the orchestra (i.e., the Oboist) and the conductor.
 Both were appreciative of my attentions and ultimately understanding of the
circumstances.  (Like Ken, I had doubts that this was a good situation for
the piano.  But the auditorium manager and staff were so proud of the
system...!

BTW, once I got this regimen adopted, I stuck with it even if the weather was
doing us a favor and not dealing us a pitch-change.  I could always use the
time for some additional tweaking and regulating.  The artists loved this,
and in general, the piano was very well maintained and it served many
wonderful concerts.

Good luck, Bill!

  -     Tom McNeil, RPT    -
Vermont PIano Restorations

P.S.  Remember, when large capital projects are afoot (like building or
renovating a concert hall) that's the time to budget for a new piano.  The
present one can serve as #2, or as a back-up, etc.