Chickering Stringscale

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Mon, 03 Mar 1997 23:28:19 -0500 (EST)

Hi, Lance!

Just a brief note that might really make your day! Your post didn't say
how comprehensive your rebuild wqs going to be. Q-G's, among other things
are noted for developing sound-board, bridge and pinblock problems as they
age. If you're going to repin and restring using the old block, check it
carefully. they are prone to both delaminating and cracking. When estimat-
ing a Q-G, ALWAYS check out the condition of the old pinblock. It is a
KILLER to replace. It's in two pieces, not one, contains all sorts of neat
compound angles and curves, which require meticulous fitting; and fastens
to the plate from the bottom, via numerous counter-sunk machine screws.
About the only pinblocks more difficult to replace are those older Chick-
ering blocks that came in FOUR pieces, and fastened into the plate in a
similar manner. If you're faced with replacing a pinblock in an older
Chickering, check it out closely and make sure that you charge accord-
ingly. Good Luck!

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net