Sciortino Insta*Coiler modifications

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Mon, 03 Mar 1997 19:55:26 -0800 (PST)

>I recently purchase a Sciortion Insta*Coiler and had problems with it=
 snapping
>the piano wire off at the becket.=20
>>Are there any other points which need "machined" or should I just do some=
 more
>filing on the inside of the "coil hook".

>Rolland Miller RPT
>Miller Piano Service
>Berea, Ohio

Dear Rolland & List,

I'm afraid I can't help with your problem, because my Sciortino tool never
broke any wire at the becket. Perhaps your particular one has a
manufacturing defect?

However, I did make extensive alterations to my Sciortino coiler. I had
trouble keeping it in adjustment, and kept tightening the handle over and
over (the handle is threaded on the end, and its pressure against the main
barrel is all that keeps the tool in proper adjustment.)=20

I went to a machinist, who made me a new (untempered) ring, that has four
threaded holes for the handle (90=BA apart), and is held on with an Allen
screw. A flat was ground in the barrel so the screw wouldn't slip. This way
the handle doesn't hold the ring in place, and can be moved to different
angles easily. Sometimes I don't even tighten the handle all the way, so it
can be removed easily, when the plate gets in the way after making a coil.

I still plan one more alteration: I intend to shorten the handle, and epoxy
a short wooden covering on the end. That way it will collide with the plate
a lot less frequently, and will finish a lot more coils before it needs
shifting.

I was amazed the first time I used the tool at how tight the turn into the
becket was.  As I pulled the notes up the wire practically jumped into the
hole. Some coils I squeezed with pliers after they had some tension on, and
the pitch didn't even change! And the wear and tear on my thumb it saved in
the low bass was worth the price of admission many times over.

I hope some other people know what is wrong with your Sciortino
Insta*Coiler. I'm sure you'll find it is worth working out.

Susan Kline=20
skline@proaxis.com
P.O. Box 1651,
Philomath, OR 97370