piblock/flange fit

Vince Mrykalo mrykalov@BYUGATE.byu.edu
Mon, 03 Mar 1997 18:05:09 -0700

I was called to service a piano that has an instability
problem.  It is a Hoernung & Mueller (Danish made) 7'
grand that has plate bushings and the pinblock was
not fit properly to the plate flange at the factory (so I
assume).  Also most of the tuning pins are not angled
(any more?) or at best, some have only a 1 or 2
degree angle.  I want to insert wedges between the
block and flange.  My first thought was to let down the
tension (about a quarter turn) throughout the piano
before inserting shims, but I am now wondering if that
would do any good.  Seems to me that the plate
bushings are acting as a fulcrum to the tuning pins.  If I
let down the tension, will that bring the pinblock closer
to the flange and defeat the purpose of letting down the
tension?

It is, I suppose, possible that the pinblock was well
fitted  at the factory, but has since moved away from
the flange at a later time.  I think this piano should have
had a double flange, but of course, that is immaterial
now.  Thoughts on this, anyone?  Is the only solution a
new pinblock?  (Pins are A-OK).
Vince Mrykalo
Piano Technician BYU