Research

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Mon, 03 Mar 1997 18:05:50 -0700

At 02:07 AM 2/26/97 -0500, L. Trischetta wrote:

>Maybe it's just me, but a research project that involves piano techs interest
>me....how about anybody else? I don't see why there has to be animosity

Speaking of research projects that involve (or concern) piano techs there is
one that some piano technicians may find interesting. I trust this isn't too
far off topic to raise the wrath of some of the participants here. <grin>

Dr. Diana Deutsch, PhD. and the Association for Amateur Scientists are
running a research project right now on "Musical Illusions and Paradoxes",
and in particular what she calls the "Tri-Tone Paradox". This paradox
involves a series of musical tones which some people hear as descending
while others hear it as ascending, and is highly intriguing. As piano
technicians we deal with musical illusions and paradoxes every day, and this
research may help explain some of them, even if they aren't specifically
related to the piano.

As with all ASA projects, amateur scientists (and many piano techs are!) can
take part in a "legitimate" scientific research project and can have their
names attached to the project when it is completed. More information on this
project can be found at:

http://www.thesphere.com/SAS/Research/audioIll.html

The Society for Amateur Scientists coordinates research projects designed
and run by acredited scientists and any amateur may join if they are
interested. The society has projects ready in many scientific fields
(excluding the paranormal and creationism by their mandate) and accepts
submissions for new projects as well. They can be reached at:
http://www.thesphere.com/SAS/home.html

>then maybe we can focus on what this list is really for...PROMOTING
>KNOWLEGE AMONG PIANO TECHNICIANS, whether or not it is in

Since there have been some comments recently about the Signal:Noise ratio in
Pianotech I'd like to add my own comments. I've been a subscriber to this
list for roughly two years and in that time have saved out at least eight
megabytes of valuable information gleaned from here. The Pianotech list is
undoubtedly the single most powerful resource about the piano on the planet.
In no other time in history has a piano technician been able to ask a
question and sometimes within minutes can receive a half-dozen (or more!)
if you have to hit the delete key a few times or many times if in the middle
you find that ONE thing that may end up paying for your internet connection
for a whole year? Speaking for myself, some of the things I've learned from
this list have already paid for my internet connection for the next ten
years. My thanks to you all!

And now, back to pianos...  B-})

John Musselwhite, RPT
Calgary, Alberta Canada