drilling block without plate bushings

RPSPIANO@aol.com RPSPIANO@aol.com
Sun, 02 Mar 1997 13:00:35 -0500 (EST)

 Hello Sam,

In the May 1985 issue of the PTJ there is a very good
diagram and instructions for a drill press base (pg. 14)
Written by Jack Krefting and credits given to Cliff Geers
and the late John Kohl. I have used this method for many
years, with the fitting and installation of the block, without
the tuning pin holes being drilled. I find the method rather
easy with little chance for error and much more consistent
than hand drilling.

Mark Ritchie RPT
Cols. OH

<<
 Thanks for the tip, Les. Especially using a drill bit to dummy mark the
 centers. Obvious, but overlooked. I will try and use a drill press in the
 future, but unsure how to modify it to accomodate the wider sections of the
 block. Any ideas on that? Regards, Sam

<<Do you drill the block mounting screws before this step or along with
the pin holes?  I'm thinking of one or more of the mounting screws being
off a little and pulling the block away from the plate flange creating
future instability>> Warren D. Fisher