The darn plastic elbows

Eric Leatha tunrboy@teleport.com
Sat, 01 Mar 1997 21:50:41 -0800

>Dear List,
>
>I am replacing a set of elbows on a Winter spinet, (Horace,
>condolences accepted in advance).  Usually they just break up
>into dust and I can snap in the Vagius elbows and be done with
>it, but most of these are soft! and I will have to pop out the
>pin to remove.  I think I remember someone talking about some
>way to make them hard with freon? gas...Am I going crazy......
>I must be to still be working on these things...
>
>ilvey, RPT (David Ilvedson)
>Pacifica, CA

David,

Three tips from a guy who has done his share of plastic elbows.

1.  Try a soldering iron on the hard to remove elbows.  The smell may
bother you, but it is fast.  Say goodbye to the tip, though.  Heat it up at
the pin and pull it out with your needlenose pliers or fingers (if you feel
plucky!)

2.  When you must twist off the old elbows from the sticker (won't crumble
off), lock the sticker in your vice-grips, chuck the "Drop Lifter Action
Button Regulator" (Schaff no. 3333) in your cordless drill, set it in
reverse and watch the little nasties twist off.  You may need to spread the
fingers of the tool a bit to accomodate the elbow.   This small step will
save you time and wrist twisting.

3.  Use a propane torch to heat the threaded end of the sticker for 3
seconds and SLIDE the new plastic snap-on elbow on.  Try to be fairly
consistent with the depth, but remember, a couple twists will correct any
discrepencies.

These techniques save me a lot of time.  The last elbow set, from walking
in the door to leaving took 1 hour, 30 minutes.

Good luck.

Eric Leatha, RPT
Portland, OR
tunrboy@teleport.com
"The Buddha, the Godhead, is just as at home in the circuits of a computer
or the action of piano as on the top of a mountain or the petals of a Lotus
flower."
-Robert Persig (freely interpreted by undersigned)