drilling block without plate bushings

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Fri, 28 Feb 1997 22:21:26 -0800

SGrossner@aol.com wrote:

> I am preparing to drill a baldwin pin block without bushings and I am
> wondering when drilling in the exact center of the hole if the lean of the
> pin will bind at the rear of the plate hole. In other words, should I drill a
> little forward of the center of the hole left by the plate? I have puzzled
> this out and can't seem to come to an answer. Guess I'll just have to try one
> and see. any ideas, anyone? Regards. Sam Grossner, chicago.
I am assuming that the plate wasn't designed for plate bushings.  The
most important thing is to have enough clearance so that string pressure
will not put the pin against the side of the hole.  Use a bubble level
taped to top of your be hand drill to set the 7 degree drill angle.  A
hardwood wedge like the ones used in ax handles can sanded to make a
support for the level.  Hold drill bit at the correct angle and go into
the hole just clearing the side of the hole away from the direction of
string pull.  When you pull the string up to pitch the pin will be
pulled near the center of the hole.

If you are using a drill press, I hope you can move it around easily!

Hope this helps

Warren
--
Warren D. Fisher