Lindner Piano ??? -Reply Two

Wed, 02 Jul 1997 11:44:50 -0700

Steve Pearson wrote:

> About the Lindner, which was made under license from Rippen of
> Holland.  I thought the willingness to try non-traditional materials was
> ahead of its time.  Particularly fascinating was the lack of balance rail
> pins and holes, and fiberglass soundboard.  I do think the best method I
> ever found for dealing with these was a liberal dousing of the entire
> instrument with some highly combustible substance, such as BBQ fluid,
> and a match.  As an aside, I once had a beautiful Rippen upright piano
> with the traditional,for Rippen at least, concave soundboard. Stable, rich
> and warm sounding, and posessed of a Herrburger-Brooks action and
> an oak case any furniture maker would be proud to claim as his/her
> own.  Wierd, how such an abomination as the Lindner could have come
> from such a fine company, which, alas, has ceased to exist.
> Steve P

Steve,

I also once had a "traditional" Rippen, this one with a teak veneered
case. Like you, I appreciated its performance. It too sounded reasonably
good, considering the soundboard and scale design, adn was fairly
stable. This one had a Renner action. Also a keyboard assembly that
folded down into the case for easier moving. When snapped back into
place, virtually no capstan adjustment was needed.

It was damaged in fire that took out most of our house. I've never been
forgiven for letting go of it afterwards instead of trying to repair it.
Oh, well.

Have you ever seen one of their grands? Another interesting piece of
work.

ddf