Shop Setup

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iAmerica.net
Wed, 2 Jul 1997 14:01:49 -0500

Hi Avery,
I used lag bolts to attach two 2x4's to the wall, put 1" holes at a slight
angle along each of them (about every foot).  I then can put 2 foot long 1"
dowels in them as I need for actions, case parts and other stuff.  You can
pull them out and use that space as you need.  This is all similar to what
Warren did, only I didn't use 4x4's. When I need to stack an upright
action, I just put 2 or 3 small wood slats down first ( leftovers from
piano shipping packing), then lay the action on them.  I have a small shop
and it really helps save space !!
It's real sturdy and I keep my shop 50-60%RH so I'm not worried about "the
soggy south".  I recently got hold of a used room dehumidifier and I'll
never do without one now.  I don't have to run the AC as much when I'm not
in there and the pianos stay consistent.  As you well know, the New Orleans
area will be 90+%RH today with a heat index of 102-107.
They make metal drawer cabinets with about 30 - 12"x3"highx12" drawers that
have worked great as parts cabinets.  I got mine at a used office supply
place for $75 and they store tons of stuff.  There is a place on the front
of each drawer to label (slot). I think they were used for documents?  Also
I've got about 30 drawers about the size of library file drawers (metal
from the same place) and some about 8"x8"x 12"deep for larger parts and
tools.  I put the latter under my work benches and they work great.  I got
storage out the Ying Yang.  Now I need time to store my stuff and label
drawers.  The 30 drawer cabinets would work well as a base for a workbench
in the middle of the shop or against a wall.  Short file cabinets with
plywood top are good if you need a desk or sit down workbench.  There are
lots of plastic storage items on the market.  I put some of my felt in
these.  Warren Fisher's shop is an example of how much you can do in a
small space.  His idea of the vise pulling out from the bench is hip, cool,
neat, etc.  There's a book available (Tauton Press?) on workshops that's
very nice, but pricey, and lots of books at the library on storage,
shelving, etc.  Do look at a good used office supply place.  Call around
first and see who handles those. Good
luck.
Lance Lafargue, RPT
New Orleans Chapter