How piano tuners get thrills -Reply

Steve Pearson SPearson@yamaha.com
Wed, 2 Jul 1997 10:30:41 -0700

Pardon me if I weigh in on this temperament biz..as a guy who played
viola in a baroque group, and built and supplied harpsichord for many
many period instrument groups, I must agree about the use of unequal
temperaments, with some reservations.  The idea of writing in say, C#
minor as opposed to C minor didn't just happen because  Beethoven
liked to make things complicated.  You should experience the "Moonlight"
on a piano tuned in Marpurg III.  You will never hear it sweeter or more
languid.  Tuning gives the color, and equal temperament has a
neutralizing or perhaps "graying" effect of eliminating the distinct
coloration of the various triads.  It is not possible to argue that equal
temperament was unknown in antiquity, just avoided. Contrary to a
widely held notion, Bach's "Well - Tempered Clavier" was written to
explore the various colorations which one tuning system, possibly
"Werckmeister III" gave to music in all keys, not to prove the superiority
of equal temperament.  The choice of tunings has always been a factor
in musical style, and not surprisingly, many jazz musicians ask for
"Werckmeister III", and find it spiffs up the music.  I am not sure the
"normal" musical ear perceives the difference as tuning, since pianists
in particular cannot afford the luxury of close attention to tuning lest
they go nuts every time they sit down to an out-of-tune piano.  But
perceive it they do, and a few well thought out questions about tone
and color will usually ellicit the desired response.  My reservations come
with the modern piano, with its inharmonicity and relatively rounded
tonal edges compared to the old style instruments(I don't know how to
say muddy diplomatically).  Nor am I sure the chromaticism and tonal
ambiguity of much current music lends itself as well to a system of
tuning which gives a distinct color to different keys.  But a fortepiano or
harpsichord in a historical tuning - not necessarily a true temperament -
is something even the most jaded ear can hear and appreciate.  I
recommend an old recording of Trevor Pinnock on a splendid Dowd
haprsichord playing among other great stuff, Handel's "Harmonious
Blacksmith", which has been reissued on CD.  It will knock your socks
off.  There are advantages to equal temp, but we have lost something
subtle and beautiful along the way.

Steve