Lindner Piano

Wed, 02 Jul 1997 07:47:24 -0700

Elian Degen wrote:

> Does any of you know a piano named Lindner ?
>
> ...the Brand name: LINDNER, Shannon, Ireland.

Yes, It was built in Ireland. The Lindner was designed and built by
Rippen of Ede, Holland. If my memory serves, and if what I was told at
the time was correct, it was a joint venture between Rippen and the
government of either Ireland or Shannon. The same piano was, I believe,
sold under the Thomas brand name.

> ...Probably because of its age all plastic parts crystallized and they are
> braking  same as the plastic elbows in spinet pianos.
>
> My first reaction was to tell the lady to throw away that thing, but I
> remembered the list, and being polite I told her I would check if anything
> can be  done...

You're right about the plastic. Nothing can be done to salvage those
parts. And, obviously, the value of the piano does not warrant replacing
it with a conventional action.

> ...Any of you has ever stumbled upon an instrument alike ?

Several. I thought they had a number of brilliant design ideas that were
ruined due to cheap and sloppy execution.

> ...Do you know if that factory still exist ?

No, it does not. Neither does the Rippen factory.

> ...Or is it wise to tell the customer to throw it away in order to save my
> life?

Yes.

ddf