How piano tuners get thrills

Mark Graham magraham@bw.edu
Wed, 2 Jul 1997 11:01:13 -0400 (EDT)

I have read with interest all the info about historical temperaments but
have never been called upon to tune one, with the exception of our
harpsichord teacher, who taught me the temperament she likes but usually
tunes it herself.

So, I have been experimenting. I have tuned some of the practice room and
studio pianos with variations of the Vallotti/Young temperament, usually
using the one on page 256 of my huge Jorgensen book. Then I have played
them, using music from all different periods. Some of them sound very
good, and as a tuner I can hear the differences, but as a musician it's
very subtle.

I have had pianists and piano professors play them, and they have no
complaints. Some favorable reactions, some noticing no difference. I have
tried to find music that sounds bad on these temperaments, but even 20th
century stuff sounds OK.

What kind of music will sound bad on this kind of well temperament? I
actually kind of prefer it to equal. I am a good pianist, and the music
sounds sweet to me.
Mark Graham
Baldwin-Wallace Conservatory of Music
Berea, Ohio