tuning pins <"tuning pins"@amenti.rutgers.edu> (Jan 22, 12:10pm)

Newton Hunt nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu
Tue, 28 Jan 1997 08:29:53 -0500

Dear Steve,
	Oversized tuning pins in a new piano is problematic in that there is no
where to go from the fours.  I have tuned a couple of pianos with 6/0 pins and
found it very difficult.  I would deminish the value of that piano because I
don't know why such pins are in the piano.
	As regards cut pins, Yamaha has been using such pins for years and I
have found them to be far more tunable than any other brand when I comes to pin
control.
	I have had Yamahas in Broadway theatres that broke the same bass
strings time after time.  Those pins did not get loose dispite being turned out
and in several times.
	When I was teaching full time the pianos in tuning rooms got tuned
often eight hours a day, day after day with loose pins becoming a problem.
		Newton