Fossil Identification

Ron Berry ronberry@iquest.net
Sun, 26 Jan 1997 21:13:12 -0500

> escaine was not the product - it is a more dense felt type material.
> It does not have the durability of buckskin or leather but I have
> not seen it ' fossilize' .  The only color I have seen it in is brownish,
> I have used it for catcher replacement on a few uprights

My understanding is that escaine is the new stuff that is also
manmade.  It is what is on the butts now.  Corfam is the culprit.  I
have seen two types.  There is a black type that becomes rubberized
and makes everything under it black.  Then there is the brown type
that becomes a rock.  The old stuff can be removed by soaking.  It is
very hard to get off if you don't.  Only the back cacher part needs
to be soaked.  The piece underneath the butt can be cut loose at the
free end with a knife and then pulled out.  You have a little
cleaning of the slot it went in.

You have to be careful regluing it that you don't get glue on the
butt felt.  You can do the job without replacing the butt felts but
you must watch.  If you do get a click from the butt felt you can
shave a little off the suface between the butt felt and the butt
leather to cut off the glue.

Ron
Ron Berry, RPT, Indianapolis, IN
mailto:ronberry@iquest.net